Mindsets and Money Stories – Her Money Matters
Money Learnings: Jen grew up in Columbia and her dad was from the USA so she experienced 2 cultures. There was always a feeling of lack of money. Jen’s parents taught her the basics of money. School did not teach her about money. Jen is particular about what she says and her actions around her kids. She finds teachable moments to explain money decisions.
Take away: Understand your money story and how it affects your actions.
Action step: Have a conversation with your spouse about what you want to achieve together and what your dream life looks like. If you are not married then have the conversation with yourself.
Bio: Jen Hemphill, a military spouse & proud bilingual Latina, helps women who are tired of the traditional money advice gain a renewed sense of control, confidence and freedom in their financial life. She is a Money Confidence Coach, an AFC® (Accredited Financial Counselor) and host of the Her Money Matters Podcast. When she’s not talking money, she enjoys a good dance-off, photography, coffee, chocolate, traveling, working out and spending time with her husband and two boys.
Highlights from this episode:
- Because of the lack of money growing up Jen became a saver as an adult.
- Jen’s husband likes to enjoy money. He taught her to improve her relationship with money.
- Jen expects her kids to focus on how to pay for their college and cars.
- What kinds of conversations should you have with your kids around money?
- Jen’s new book – Her Money Matters is about money mindsets and our money stories.
- Doing the right things with traditional advice doesn’t always work, listen to learn why.
- We focus too much on money skills and not enough on behaviors and stories.
- The scarcity mindset and how it holds us back.
- How does our physical and mental health affect our day?
- How expert advice can hurt us.
- Why taking the time to know your purpose and goals is a very important step in life.
- How creating a dream budget can provide you the ability to think beyond and achieve what you want.
- The prosperity game. https://www.healyourlife.com/play-the-prosperity-game
- Make sure to test your ideas because you may find it’s not all that you expected.
- Why you need to have conversations with your spouse about life and money.
- Writing down your desires creates clarity and can help your accomplish your goals.
- Celebrate your money wins!
Links to Jen’s site and book:
Have you had a chance to check out the SWOT plan at richersoul.com/SWOT See how to pressure test your financial future and find opportunities unique to you and create or increase your various income streams.